Sunday, January 17, 2010

Myth= Mithya- Dr Dwevdutt Pattanaik



 Why did I pick it up:  because myths fascinate me and I really enjoyed Pattanaik's 'The pregnant King' immensely.

And;: this book is very well written, in an easy reading style, with flashes, very faint and infrequent , of his tongue-in-cheek humour. The myths are well- known but what the big discovery was the meta-physical and philosophical meanings of the symbols and icons and figurative representation of the myths. it was a reading journey punctuated with - wow, never knew that, is that what this means moments.


But: the biggie was too much too soon. Will have to keep going  back to absorb it all.

Read: if you like myths or are seeking meaning into the Hindu dieites and prayer symbols.

2 comments:

  1. Very fascinating read, throws light on the symbolism in hinduism. I'm a Vaishnavite, but after reading it, I consider Shiva quite the Dude!

    ReplyDelete