Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Water For Elephants




Why did I pick it up- Because every site that I visit for book lists recommended it very strongly. And because the blurb has words like atmospheric, gritty, Rosie the elephant and twisted animal trainer. And the last- not the hero, the bad guy.


And- I didn’t want to read it. I almost didn’t. Especially when the book opened with a ninety-year-old man’s voice. But Jacob; the old man- who else, was cantankerous and opinionated and as a young man vulnerable with an interesting story and I couldn’t stay away. Language here is purely functional and very effective. The characters are interesting and there is a plot, especially the murder is interesting. And you can smell the sawdust in the big top.

But- honestly? Not my cup of tea. In spite of the engrossing story and well –etched characters, nothing reached out and grabbed me by the throat. And the book left my mind soon after I closed it.

Read- For an engrossing tale about circus life, or for an original murder-romance.

©Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment