Friday, May 17, 2013

The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan







I thought I would capture this reading experience as it occurs. An experiment to see if the quality of retelling changes or suffers.


What made me pick this book up - (other than the obligatory recommendations and reviews.)

 When you are always searching for the next book to read while your mind still on the one you just finished, 'newness' always excites. This one caught me with it's form. And the for a logophile like me, that's double delight. So  I am eagerly waiting to  devour it.

So now I am a little into the book. It is breathtaking  what he has done with words, with the meanings of the words he has chosen to tell his story with, the way he so beautifully tacks them on to 'love' , 'desire', 'togetherness 'and 'heartache.' All this while keeping the story going.

I was supposed to record as I read, but I have returned after the complete read. because

devour (v)
I ended up gorging on this book, completely, quickly and yet, many times came back to

savour (v)
many sentences and paragraphs - like this one - " and every now and then, when everything else is air and liquid, desire solidifies, and the body is the magnet that draws its weight."

Gamut (n)
I was amazed at how simply , lucidly and elegantly Levithan covered the whole range, from hesitancy to desire to love to heartbreak

Urban ( adj)
of an urban , contemporary relationship

Superlative ( adj)
One of the best love stories that I have read in a long time.
 Verdict ( n)
A book that is clever funny, poignant and brilliantly written, and finely plotted to. Keeps you involved at several levels- in the choice of his words, in his narrative style, in the plot and in the emotional connect.

Read. Please. You'll thank me for it
Maya
.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your review. I will pick it up as you suggest. And thank you for it.

    ***

    A little quibble - I LOVED the way you have written the review but from someone of you caliber I would have expected the words to be arranged in alphabetic order (like in a dictionary?). d, s, g, u , s, v? It jarred a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I never even thought about that, do you know. Point taken. Will pay closer attention to structure and form too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete