Friday, July 26, 2013

Em and the big Hoom- Jerry Pinto



This was one of the books that I have had few starts and stops before actually getting down to talking about it.  Anyway, here is it.
First- the narrative- gripping. I couldn’t put the book down; I read it between moving houses between cities. That should  tell you.
What stands out- the language. It is so bright it shimmers off the page. I have yet to find another Indian writer  who has managed to use the language so effortlessly, so elegantly, so effectively. I savoured the words and the phrases.
Then there is Em- who is ‘mad’ and a ‘mudd-dha’. Her words. But thorough the words of her son, the narrator, we find a woman who is sharp, clever and witty . That Pinto shows us the woman behind the illness is this novel’s strength.
Hoom is the kind of man every woman is looking for . Solid, dependable, in love with his wife long after her mind is lost to her illness. Unlike Rochester.
Of the kids, we hear a little from the girl and everything from the boy. He is angry with his mother for denying him a normal family, fearful that he would fail when it will become his lot to care of her, fearing that his genes may betray him, sorrowful that he cannot protect her from the cruel mocking eyes of the world, suspicious that she might perhaps be using her illness, helpless that he cannot take away her pain and always loving her
This is a brilliantly written book about a hardly talked about illness; the story of the afflicted, of the family dealing with the afflicted and the toll it takes on their lives.
Icing of the top- In spite of the nature of the issue dealt in the book, a sudden startling bit of humour appears in a dark comedy kind of way.
But- yes, there is a but. This book reads like a memoir.  So , in the end it is just a telling of lives- and I want to ask- where’s the story you promised me? Why has nothing changed for the boy? The family? Where’s the ah-ha moment? What’s my take away?

Am I the only person asking this?

3 comments:

  1. I loved the book. But this morning i was watching this interview of the author http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P77kw4dr2eU

    and i commented to amma that he was selling it to0 much as an autobiographical novel. After a point the novel must stand on its own. I dont know if its the fault of the media or if the blame lies elsewhere. So interesting that you should comment about it reading like a memoir. My own feeling is that it functioned as a therapeutic exercise for the author. and just happened to entertain its readers.

    P.S. unfair comparison to Rochester there. Poor guy was a but clueless about his wife before he married her. (if i remember the book write)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the book too. But if the book is supposed to be a novel then I don't want a memoir. About R- I think , thanks to Vishaka, I am under the influence of Wide Sargasso Sea, the story from Berhha's view point and I readily admit to a bias.

      Delete
  2. nice article you should also write articles about business like on this website--->>http://www.ghanalive.tv/category/business/

    ReplyDelete